Welcome to #SoulTies 20. In this session, we continue looking at a topic I title “Errors of the past”. If God has truly forgiven us, do we have to bear the consequences of the errors of our past?
Please find below Flickr & iCloud links for the Soul Ties 20 Tweetcast
#SoulTies 20 starts shortly.
1. Good morning y’all. Pls email me ur testimony on SoulTiesTestimonies@karisministries.org if u have been blessed by #SoulTies tweets.
2. I want to state that we are not here to condemn anyone or stigmatize anyone who has repeatedly fallen into sin due to #SoulTies
3. We are here to expose #SoulTies as the works of the enemy that the blood of Jesus has been shed to purge us from.
4. I also want to say that this isn’t a motivational broadcast but this is the gospel of Jesus Christ. #SoulTies
5. We are looking at this from the standard of the Word of God and no less. No compromise. #SoulTies
6. The flesh finds the Word and the Spirit of God unbearable but we cannot dilute the message. #SoulTies
7. Please take time off to LIKE our Facebook page using this link http://dld.bz/cU2zp #SoulTies
8. Please join our FaceBook group here as well to receive timely updates about our activities. http://dld.bz/cU4fR #SoulTies
9. Going forward, we’ll be hosting more interactive #SoulTies hangouts and reducing the frequency of the tweets.
10. So please be sure to hook up with me on Google+ for the hangouts. https://plus.google.com/+OlusolaAdio
11. In these #SoulTies hangouts, there’ll be room for people to ask questions about what we have been learning.
12. I also have a BBM pin dedicated to #SoulTies; 7c5bbd57 so you can hook up on BBM at your earliest convenience.
13. Please visit our new blog page to access audio downloads of the #SoulTies tweets. http://dld.bz/dgwCB
14. Last week, we started looking at an issue that could arise in a believer’s life after you have dealt with #SoulTies
15. I called this “Errors of the past”. You will only fully grasp the title if you’ve read #SoulTies 19. #SoulTies
16. A central pillar of the gospel of Christ is the forgiveness of our sins. Without this, there isn’t any gospel. #SoulTies
17. We closed off in #SoulTies 19 by popping the question open about the effects of past wrong doings. #SoulTies
18. I presented 2 stories and invited responses from everyone. I got a wide range of responses. #SoulTies
19. Some were given as public comments on the blog and some came through to me in private. #SoulTies
20. All the replies were not too different but one of the private ones was very short and different. #SoulTies
21. All the responses agreed on the truth of a forgiving God. #SoulTies
22. However, they varied on how human consequences to errors in the past should be treated. #SoulTies
23. Some responders felt the scenarios I mentioned merited no mercy from men irrespective of if the people are now reformed. #SoulTies
24. Some responders would have felt more comfortable to overlook less ‘scary’ scenarios and forgive. #SoulTies
25. Some other responders felt that any iniquity of YOUR past MUST inevitably carry a penalty irrespective of Gods forgiveness. #SoulTies
26. The shortest response I got was private. You’ll find it interesting. #SoulTies
27. It was from a man. He simply asked me (my own paraphrase) “where is mercy in this whole thing?” And he quoted Matt 5:7 #SoulTies
28. Matthew 5:7 Blessed are the merciful:for they shall obtain mercy. #SoulTies
29. And he ended his response abruptly and ran away. Lol! #SoulTies
30. Why did he end his response abruptly? Why was it so short? Why didn’t he prove his logic to me like I would have done? #SoulTies
31. My Lagos mind swung into action. Could it be that he thought I would disagree with him? #SoulTies
32. Could it be that he saw the volume of responses calling for the heads of people who had offended and are now reformed. #SoulTies
33. His scripture was not out of context so we cannot sweep it under the carpet while I hold the other responses as valid too. #SoulTies
34. Almost all the responses agreed that Gods forgiveness was unreserved and non-debatable. #SoulTies
35. However, most of the responses pointed out that God’s forgiveness did not automatically avert consequences. #SoulTies
36. A particular response from Ike Amadi almost gave away some of my next material so I was quiet. #SoulTies
37. So let’s begin to dig in, into some stuff here. #SoulTies
38. Colossians 2:13a And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, #SoulTies
39. Colossians 2:13b hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses; #SoulTies
40. Colossians 2:14a Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, #SoulTies
41. Colossians 2:14b which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross; #SoulTies
42. In these 2 verses, we clearly see that Gods forgiveness was carried out as described in Col 2:13 #SoulTies
43. In vs 14, there is an expression called ‘handwriting of ordinances that was against us’ #SoulTies
44. What did Paul mean by ‘handwriting of ordinances that was against us’ #SoulTies
45. It means a list of things you have done deserving punishment which you are sure to receive. #SoulTies
46. When God forgave you, He tore up His own list of items and opened heaven up to you. #SoulTies
47. However, satan and men kept their own and we need to navigate here very wisely. #SoulTies
48. There are things done that can sever relationships and destroy goodwill despite God’s forgiveness. #SoulTies
49. Col 2:14 is a basis for us to pray that such ordinances against us be blotted out. #SoulTies
50. Definitely each situation must be treated differently but Col 2:14 is a valid prayer point for all of us. #SoulTies
51. Mr Jack stole Mr John’s bicycle 50 years ago in Isale-Eko and never owned up. #SoulTies
52. Mr John cursed whoever stole the bicycle and threw a stone into the water to ratify it. #SoulTies
53. Mr John said whoever stole the bicycle will never prosper and see any progress. #SoulTies
54. 40 years later, Mr John is dead. Mr Jack’s son is struggling through medical school. #SoulTies
55. Mr Jack suddenly remembers that all Mr John’s curses were playing out in his son’s life. #SoulTies
56. Mr John is dead and we can’t even locate him to beg him or say sorry. #SoulTies
57. Mr Jack’s son, Jacob, turns up in our services and gets born again. #SoulTies
58. Jacob immediately turns up for counseling and tells us his problem. #SoulTies
59. Are we going to invoke the OT on him asking him to wait 4 generations for things to get better? #SoulTies
60. This is where Col 2:14 comes in to blot out handwriting of ordinances that is set against his lineage. #SoulTies
61. That’s just one instance where the gospel of Christ contradicts our human thinking. #SoulTies
62. The woman caught in adultery was set to die under Jewish law. #SoulTies
63. However, Jesus not only forgave her but also blotted out the demands of the mob that was against her. #SoulTies
64. And Jesus sent her away saying that she should sin no more. #SoulTies
65. Just as a balance, Jesus saying that was a message for her not to misunderstand his forgiveness and then return to sin. #SoulTies
66. There’s still more to be said on this. #SoulTies
67. We have a #SoulTies Google+ hangout next week Sunday @ 5:00pm GMT. Don’t miss it. See u there.
68. Please help spread the word about #SoulTies and get your tweeps to follow the tweets on @solaadio
69. See you guys next week at the #SoulTies Hangout on Google+. #SoulTies
If you have been blessed by this piece and you want to share your prayer requests or testimonies with me, please use this contact form. Your email will come straight to me and will not be published on this site. My BB pin is 7C5BBD57.
Your servant in Christ